Air VS Non injectors...

 --- Cory Langford <corylang@dccnet.com> wrote: >
> Okay,
>
> I have finally pieced together what is going on with this jetta I am
> working on.
>
> It came stock with the air shroud injectors.  But it looks like the
> previous owner put in the cheap non-air shroud (ie: old rabbit) injectors
> as they are less than 1/2 the price.  The injectors them selves look nice
> and new.
>
> So.  I have heard that you can still use these in the air shroud heads,
> just seal off the holes in the injector insert.  Any problems with this?

Instead of plugging the holes in each injector seat, just plug/cap the air inlet - or
remove the plastic inlet "thingy" and put RTV in the hole...  (the air inlet is on the
back of the head, at the top - little plastic "thingy" poking up...)

> Is there any flow rate difference between the two?

Nope, but the air-shrouded design is supposed to atomize the fuel better...  Either way,
I don't think you'll notice the difference, I didn't...

> Also, I noticed all the plastic shrouds are cracked and chipped on the end.
> Could this be due to the fact the old Rabbit style do not have the o-ring
> on the end to help stabilize them?  Any issues with the injector moving a
> little in the seat over the ones with the dual o-rings?

The plastic is most likely brittle as a result of heat and time.  I don't think you'll
have a problem with the injectors moving - that top o-ring holds them pretty damn
tight...

> I have a set from the old roc engine and I am going to soak them in carb
> cleaner (they have been sitting for a long time) to try and clean them up.

When you purge them, check the spray pattern when you get all the air out.  It should be
a nice fine mist in a fairly uniform pattern.  If it squirts rather than mists, or if it
dribbles fuel when the fuel metering plate is down, get new ones...

> I will try these, but if they are clogged, I need to know if the older
> style will cause any issues.

Nope, they'll work fine - just make sure you plug the air-shroud "manifold" inlet...

HTH,

Mark.
80 S
81 S