Turbo vs. Supercharger.

OK, so I read the essay that Eric posted. It's clear
that VNT, or Variable NOZZLE Technology is different
than Variable VANE Technology. I *think* the
Aerocharger is a variable VANE technology. There's a
picture that suggests it but their crappy website
doesn't really say it.

I think VNT is probably much cheaper to produce than a
variable vane turbine. However, like the essay said,
it isn't very good for high-performance applications
because it relies on a very small compressor wheel.
The variable vane technology would allow for a
comparatively LARGE compressor, while using the
turbine vanes to minimize spool-up time and maximum
RPM.

In the end, if you have moderate displacement, a
properly-sized turbo, and other technologies such as
variable cam timing, it isn't an issue. Regular WRX's
have a good bit of boost lag, but the STi with an
extra half-liter of displacement and variable cam
timing, has almost NO lag. I have trouble autocrossing
most turbo cars because I've never taught my right
foot to compensate for turbo lag...but I had no
trouble with the STi.

Neal

--- Drew MacPherson <drew@scirocco.cs.uoguelph.ca>