Turbo vs. Supercharger NOW: VNT Turbos

As I mentioned in my response to Eric's post, they have been around for
more than a decade - do a search on the net for VNT mopar or VNT shelby
and you should get a few hits.  IIRC limited numbers of Shelby editions of
some of these turbos came with VNT-25.

The trick with the VNT is that in order to be a) driveable and b) not
self-grenading it has to be regulated by an ECU.  Regulating the VNT
directly by manifold pressure would likely result in a very undriveable
car (ie attempting to build max boost and stay there) especially with a
petrol engine.

I'd be interested to see if Megasquirt could be adapted to include VNT
regulation (then I could use it for both VNT and methane injection! :) )

The VNT's on the TDIs are pretty small, and can hit grenading impeller
speeds pretty easily.  TDI owners often see overboost pressures up to 25
or 28 PSI.  (Remember boys and girls, there's no wastegate... :) )
VNT-17's come on the new PD diesels (don't have these yet in North
America.) I believe that in general they are available in a wide range of
sizes.

Drew