  From: Neal Tovsen
  To: Dan Bubb ; L F ; Mike Smith ; car
  Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 7:46 PM
  Subject: Re: Turbo vs. Supercharger.

  >From what I've read, nitro methane (and alcohol) cools
  the air/fuel mixture so much and is so
  detonation-resistant that intercoolers aren't needed.
  And though I'm sure they've tweaked the design as much
  as possible, those blowers (REAL
  "blowers"...non-internal-compression roots
  superchargers) are said to eat up over 1000hp in
  parasitic drag. Just look at the belt they have to
  run!

  As I mentioned, the real reason they don't use turbos
  is because they aren't allowed to.

  There's an Integra "funny car" that is producing much
  more HP per Liter displacement than a true NHRA Funny
  Car. It's all based on NHRA technology (custom
  large-bore casting, huge bearings, massive head
  retainers, etc) but in a 4-cyl turbocharged format.
  Makes you wonder what would happen if they
  turbocharged a big-block V8...could they even find a
  way to use it?

  Neal