(Very Long Rant)Worst Day Ever - Help me identify what happened to my car

Today has to be one of the worst days I've ever experienced. I was
driving from Clearwater, Fl to Orlando, a drive I'm used to making
(1-2 times roundtrip a week). When I got to my exit on I-4, my car
started bucking and kicking, and I couldn't accelerate (this in
stop-and-go traffic, of course), and then stalled. I manouevred it
as far out of the right lane as I could (there was no emergency
lane), and put my blinkers on. I don't have a cell phone, so I
just sat there trying to start the car, it would start, but
despite my efforts to rev it, it'd die almost immediately. So I
waited... nobody would stop and help, everyone would rush around
me almost hitting my poor car. Finally, after 10-15 minutes, it
started back up, and I managed to get it off the highway, but as I
was getting it down the road (Colonial in Orlando, very busy
road), it decided to start doing the same thing from a traffic
light, so I pulled into the middle turn lane (I was stupidly in
the left lane), and put the flashers on again.  People once again
just queued up behind me instead of trying to help, honking their
horns and speeding around me when they could. Finally I managed to
wave down a cop who pushed me into a parking lot (I couldn't push
myself as I was alone and with two cats, so I couldn't manage it
across a busy intersection alone). It refused to start, so I
called AAA and had it towed. Here I am now. Sorry for it being so
long and stuff.
This is my 82 by the way.

Justin Tomlinson
Orlando, FL