Help please: MC and bleed problems

Symptoms: brakes have been dead 3 weeks. The other day while checking on the
oil I saw that the brakefluid reservoir was empty. I filled it figuring that
would help. It did very little to improve the brakes:

Result: I buy a G60 MC and booster, pressure bleeder, fluid

Attempt: today I try to replace the MC, booster, and bleed the brakes.

Problems: how the hell do you get to those nuts on the booster without
crawling under the car? (I ditched that idea for now)

I disconnected everything but the battery like it says in the Bentley
(there's no check valve on the booster like it says in there!?!?, only the
vacuum hose) to get to the MC.

No syringe, so I decide to open up the valve on the driver side front to
bleed the reservoir dry so I can take it off. Only, the only fluid that came
out was from the threads on the valve, and from the bottom of the
proportioning valve. Hardly a few drops actually came out of the valve. I
increase the pressure in the bleeder .. no luck, just more fluid leaking out
the bottom of the proportioning valve.

I put everything back since I have questions now .. leave Jeff's place, but
now the brakes are firm, even after several times of usuage.

QUESTIONS:
1. Why did nothing come out of the valve when I opened it?
2. When you buy a MC, does it come with a new proportioning valve? Is this a
possible place for leaks (seems to be where I lost all the fluid)
3. There is only one proportioning valve correct?
4. Why are my brakes firm now - did I force enough brake fluid into the MC
to get it to work again?
5. What the hell else am I doing wrong? The Bentley is rather curt on the
subject. And how far do you open the valve on the caliper?

The Bentley says you need a 8mm box wrench for the valve, but I had to use a
7mm. Wrong in the book or wrong on the car?

I don't like these miracle fixes (knowing my luck the brakes will be mush
again the next time I step in the car.. I'd still like to replace all the
parts, but I need some clarification on the top issues before I jump in
again.

Thanks!!
even my parents are telling me to buy a Honda now! :-(