Couple quick answears on bars

I am not an ME...I just play one on TV!

However, I would think you want it to be as rigid as
possible.

When taken to the limit, it would obviously defeat the
purpose if we made the bar out of silly putty. Of
course, we aren't that dumb, but the lower the spring
value on the bar, the more force that will go through
the crossmember.

While it might not be all bad for the crossmember to
continue to do some of it's job, we really have no way
of knowing HOW MUCH of it is going throught the
crossmember vs. the bar. Thus, I'd prefer the bar to
be more rigid.

And again, this is just a preference. I'm sure that
even a 4130 cro-mo tube, which is the material I
intend (or intended, if I can buy one of Bob's bars)
would still be an improvement over no bar...or even
silly putty!

This whole project still assumes that the core bumper
support channel that goes back to the firewall can
handle more direct stress. My worst fear is that we're
just moving to the next weak link in the chain. :(

Neal

--- "Scott F. Williams" <sfwilliams@comcast.net>