Couple quick answears on bars

First off, composites properties are substantially different from
aluminum and the same things cannot be said when including them in a
comparison between aluminum and steel.
Composites have stiffness higher than steel and weight lighter than
aluminum. Composite stiffness to weight ratio is much greater whereas
steel and aluminum are approximately equal. I'm not sure how they got
brought into this discussion although they would be excellent in this
application.
As far as design is concerned, comparing an equal weight of aluminum to
steel in straight compression will yield almost the same deflection
irrespective of cross section properties. For an equal weight and
aluminum piece will have three times the cross section as the steel
piece and since its stiffness is 1/3 per unit area its deflection will
be the same.
In bending design can make a difference mainly because there is a
practical minimum wall thickness before the piece will exhibit local
buckling or is too prone to damage from unexpected impacts. In this case
the aluminum piece can generally have a larger cross sectional moment of
ineria making it correspondingly stiffer in bending.
The other consideration comparing aluminum to steel is the relative
strength. Unless you compare the lowest grade steel to 7075-T6 or
2024-T3 aluminum, steel is always much stronger than aluminum. In this
case where the bar has a substantial bend and therefore relatively high
stresses an aluminum piece will reach its yield point for a given load
before a steel piece.
Perhaps when you use the word "compliant" relative to chromoly tubing
the correct term should be "undamped"?
There is a reason that no professional racing car uses an aluminum
swaybar and this application is substantially the same.
But, I don't want to influence anybody here. Please make your aluminum
equivalent and let us know how it works in comparison to the steel
piece.
Dan