slightly OT: need vw ID help

>>I think there may have been one of those military vehiclse Eric wants, but
>>it was under a tarp a kind of hard to tell. <<

Do you mean an Iltis?

>>First was what looked like an old vw bus with the space for the back seat
>>area cut out and turned into a pick up. The bed was very high up, the top
>>of it was at about the bottom of the front-side window. Is this a
>>customized bus or a real model? <<

This is a stock VW, pretty rare.  VW made a fair amount of the air-cooled
transporters with truck bodies, both in two and four doors.  Maybe somebody
else knows the production years (??)

>>Next up was I think vw's version of a station wagon. It looked to be maybe
>>early 70s, was about the length and width of my rocc. <<

70's?  Could have been a Dasher Wagon.  If it looked more like a 60's/late
70's air-cooled (ghia, old beetle) it's a type III squareback.

>>Lastly, this one I've seen before but can't remember. It looked sort of
>>like a cross between a dune buggy and an early SUV. It sat up pretty high,
>>may have had a cloth top and Jeep style doors. <<

Sounds like a pretty good description of a VW Thing!  (73-74 in the U.S.)

Drew

**Drew Teague**
Harrisburg, PA

`84 8v Rocco --  "Bruise"