Leaking some oil, is this bad?

Funny, I just helped a local with this same problem today.  Cold temperatures, and thick oil make for problems.

You just blew your oil cooler to filter flange seal.  NOT a big deal!  The filter flange (just above your oil leak) is the same on just about any watercooled dub.  When VW added the oil cooler, they just made the threaded rod (what your oil filter screws onto) extra long, and slid the oil cooler between the flange and the filter.  Take your oil filter off, you will see a nut holding the cooler to the flange.  This will mostlikely be loose.  Loosen it if not loose, and unscrew the threaded rod from the oil filter flange.  Now, remove the blown seal between the cooler and the filter flange.  Take your old oil filter, remove its rubber gasket, replace the blown cooler-to-flange seal with the oil filter seal (yes this works perfectly).  Thread the rod back in, tighten the cooler back to the flange with the nut, and put on a new filter, change your oil.  Your done.

--
Eric
Northglenn, CO

81 Scirocco S (*TDI* swap and complete restoration in holding pattern)
81 Rabbit Truck LX Diesel (Waiting for BAE Turbo Install)
83 Scirocco Wolfsburg