Being screwed by the police

--part1_63.172d8e61.2b5a382a_boundary

In a message dated 01/17/2003 8:21:49 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
rocco16v@netzero.net writes:

Robbie-
  Get a lawyer.  You have a constitutional right to a speedy trial, for one.
For two; you say you haven't been charged with anything!  If this is true,
they have no grounds to impound your car.

Larry
sandiego16v

Yes, you DO have a constitutional right to a speedy trial...if you are being
held in custody...if you are not in custody then a trial date will be set by
the court system and could come at any time.

And yes, they do have the right to impound your car whether you have been
charged or not.  If it is not safely drivable and needs to be removed, it can
and will be removed.  Also since it was a serious injury accident it would
most definitely be impounded.  We impound all cars if anyone involved in the
accident gets an ambulance ride.  Normally for a regular accident where a car
is not drivable, it goes to a contract tow yard where your insurance company
will come and get it.  If somebody went to the hospital, it goes to our yard
and is not released till the traffic investigators release it (not the
officer who took the accident report at the scene).  Depending on the
severity of the injuries, the car might be held until the passenger makes a
full recovery.  A car could suddenly become a vehicular manslaughter scene if
a victim dies later of injuries suffered in the accident and the police would
be remiss if they let the car go before they knew that wouldn't be the case.

Tom in Tucson
www.area-53.com
88 Rocco 16V
86 Rocco 16V
80 Rocco S (16V conversion project, also my first Roc)
79 Rocco (turbo/retro project)
76 Rocco (racer project)
84 Jetta Turbodiesel (my first VW ever)
82 Rabbit Pickup (2.0 project?)
85 Audi Coupe GT (20V project someday...)
81 Porsche 924 Turbo
89 Chev Suburban (family truckster)
74 GMC 1 ton 454 P/U "Ol' Red" (hay hauler/tow monster)
72 GMC 3-door Suburban (4WD toy)
85 John Deere (workhorse)
And 4 other VW parts cars...

--part1_63.172d8e61.2b5a382a_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica>In a message dated 01/17/2003 8:21:49 AM US Mountain Standard Time, rocco16v@netzero.net writes:<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Robbie-<FONT  SIZE=3><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">&nbsp; Get a lawyer.&nbsp; You have a constitutional right to a speedy trial, for one.</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">For two; you say you haven't been charged with anything!&nbsp; If this is true, they have no grounds to impound your car. </FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
 <BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">Larry</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0">sandiego16v</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR="#000000" style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF" FACE="Arial" LANG="0"><BR>
Yes, you DO have a constitutional right to a speedy trial...if you are being held in custody...if you are not in custody then a trial date will be set by the court system and could come at any time.<BR>
<BR>
And yes, they do have the right to impound your car whether you have been charged or not.&nbsp; If it is not safely drivable and needs to be removed, it can and will be removed.&nbsp; Also since it was a serious injury accident it would most definitely be impounded.&nbsp; We impound all cars if anyone involved in the accident gets an ambulance ride.&nbsp; Normally for a regular accident where a car is not drivable, it goes to a contract tow yard where your insurance company will come and get it.&nbsp; If somebody went to the hospital, it goes to our yard and is not released till the traffic investigators release it (not the officer who took the accident report at the scene).&nbsp; Depending on the severity of the injuries, the car might be held until the passenger makes a full recovery.&nbsp; A car could suddenly become a vehicular manslaughter scene if a victim dies later of injuries suffered in the accident and the police would be remiss if they let the car go before they knew that wouldn't be the case.<BR>
<BR>
Tom in Tucson<BR>
www.area-53.com<BR>
88 Rocco 16V<BR>
86 Rocco 16V<BR>
80 Rocco S (16V conversion project, also my first Roc)<BR>
79 Rocco (turbo/retro project)<BR>
76 Rocco (racer project)<BR>
84 Jetta Turbodiesel (my first VW ever)<BR>
82 Rabbit Pickup (2.0 project?)<BR>
85 Audi Coupe GT (20V project someday...)<BR>
81 Porsche 924 Turbo<BR>
89 Chev Suburban (family truckster)<BR>
74 GMC 1 ton 454 P/U "Ol' Red" (hay hauler/tow monster)<BR>
72 GMC 3-door Suburban (4WD toy)<BR>
85 John Deere (workhorse)<BR>
And 4 other VW parts cars...</FONT></HTML>

--part1_63.172d8e61.2b5a382a_boundary--