semi OT - Lame bodywork question

Just thinking out loud here, but if the bondo is covered with paint right after applied, should the paint keep the moisture out and prevent the rust?   I know that if you don't clean the old metal well enough you can leave some rust or dirt behind that will prevent the bondo from bonding and lead to rapid rusting, but if done right it should be OK, shouldn't it?  All the same, if you can POR under it, I'd do so for safety's sake.

You could also consider using fiberglass to fill in if the area you are filling is large, hole ridden and/or under lots of stress (like the corner of a windshield.  Bondo doesn't do as well as glass in large amounts when the material under it flexes at all.  Of course it does pretty well, but not as well.  So I'm told.  No experience with the fiberglass repair stuff myself.

BH