Head rebuilding

Hey Brian...

 First, you will need a valve spring compressor... since I did not have
one myself I opted to take the head to a shop.  I took them a stripped
head (no senders, flanges, or cams).  They removed the lifters and valve
springs; and cleaned the head and valves for about $30.
At this point, new valve guides can be installed (pressed in and out).
Lastly, the "valve job" is done and the head is reasembled with new valve
stem seals.  And being a 16v head (most of them warp slightly) I would have
the head surface refinished.  A valve job and head resufacing should cost
somewhere around $100 in most cases.

So honestly, there really isn't much you can do to save much $$ on
a head rebuild unless you already have the correct tools.

HTH

Ben