Semi OT: [elec]LED gauge lighting

Better yet, contact either JDRmicrodevices.com or HP directly. They have
white high intensity leds that would operate better. They also have other
colors as well.
But... To protect the leds from  surges in current, place a diode (In4146 1
amp diode. Radio shack again) in line between the supply and the resistors.
reduce the drop voltage of the resistor by 0.7v.

This will stop the leds popping.

Julie Macfarlane
Menlo Park Research & Development
Internet Application Developer