The tranny lives! (long-esque)

<P>For those of you who don't know me, my name is Anson and I'm a tranny addict.</P>
<P>In the last year and a half my 86 8v has consumed 3 tranny's. I won't&nbsp;bore you with&nbsp;the details of their untimely demise but suffice it to say it's pretty much my fault.</P>
<P>I recently moved to Wilmington OH and in the process&nbsp;the last of the three transmission's expired.</P>
<P>Daun yeagley who has recently been acting as my most gracious host, allowed my to opperate several of his cars in my recent endeavor at fund rasing (job). </P>
<P>Last weekend&nbsp;upon the invite of the cheapass one I made my way to Ron's glorious garage laden with the remains of three very much destroyed tranny's and a few shinny new parts. After many long hours of bumbling and cursing (me) and skilled workmanship (Ron).....ok he cursed a wee bit too, we had a pretty much assembled 9A gearset/.71 fifth/3.89 final/AUG case.</P>
<P>I put the trans in the car on thursday and friday night (yes I suck) and took it for a test drive.... a 285 mile test drive. I had to run down to KY to move my girlfriend.</P>
<P>The green endcap began leaking severely after 100 miles (Yup I was too cheap to replace it)&nbsp;so I pried it out (very easy to do when it's been re-used about three times) and after spraying it down with some over priced truck stop&nbsp;sarting fluid I&nbsp;wrapped it's o.d. with a layer of electrical tape. After topping up the tranny with some exhorbitantly priced off brand 80-90 I completed the rest of the journey without incedent. The clutch is wonderfull, it shift's very smoothly except for first which&nbsp; is just a linkage issue, and the gearing is a true joy other than the four/five dive, I used a .71 fifth for the freeway stuff.</P>
<P>Here is what I have learned from the whole experience:</P>
<P>1. Do not buy bolt kit's (some might say don't buy anything) from qualityvwparts.com</P>
<P>2. Do enlist the help of an experienced tranyish person (thanks Ron).</P>
<P>3. If you insist on blowing up tranny's do so en-route to Daun's house (thanks Daun).</P>
<P>4. If you do purchase a bolt kit from "quality"vwparts.com be sure to clearance the bolt heads before assembling the tranny, it save quite a lot of time and cursing.</P>