Semi OT: [elec]LED gauge lighting

  I want to convert my gauge/instrument lighting over to white LED's, but I'm
trying to figure out just how to do this. A quick trip to Radio Shack
provided a 1000mcd white LED at 3v, and the sales people had no idea what I
was talking about when I asked if higher voltage and wide angle versions were
available. Other than that I did find out that I'll need to run a 470 Ohm
resistor on the LED, but would I need this with a higher voltage LED?

  Any help before I turn my dash into a fireworks and smoke show would be
appriciated! :)

Carl
77rocco
89fox  - donor to be