Inner wheel wells, and things

As I was thinking how to loose weight out of my car this morning, I thought
about the inner wheel wells in the front. Can these be removed (cut out)
without weakening the front end severely? Any veiws on this are appreciated.

I also have a slight rubbing problem hen steering sharply. Or it at least
seems like a rub. I have factory rocco wheels so it can't really be the
wrong offset. Any ideas?

Peace Out,

Rhett
Rocco_crossing
'83 Rocco (planning to be in the garage this wknd)
'92 Olds Cutlass Ciera (DD)