Question for all those with a 16v 2.0 block and 16v 1.8head

Dave,
         I have the article on the TT head as well.  You're stating that=20
the 2.0 head flows better because its exhaust flows 15cfm more while its=20
intake is 10cfm, leaving it with a net 5cfm advantage.  I'm not so sure=20
that it's so simple.

         My first guess as to the reason people think that the 1.8 head=20
flows better is that of the redline of the 2 motors.  The 1.8 redlines at=20
7200; with Motronic, the 2.0 redlines at 6800.  There's no sense getting=20
into a discussion of whether that has any bearing on how well the head=20
breathes (or whether the redline is in a reasonable place anyway), but that=
=20
certainly would give the impression that the head flows better.

         Secondly, if you look at the intake ports themselves, the=20
difference is *enormous*.  It certainly looks like there would be more than=
=20
a 10cfm flow difference, and that's probably convincing people as=20
well.  The exhaust difference is not as noticeable.

         Thirdly, the fact of the matter is that the 1.8 head does make=20
better power at high rpms.  I've yet (unfortunately) to see a back-to-back=
=20
same-car 1.8 head vs. 2.0 head dyno run.  But I did do a stock 1.8 engine=20
run and a stock 2.0 engine run on my car -- with the same exhaust, fuel=20
injection system, everything.  All I did was take the manifolds off, rip=20
the 1.8 out and put the 2.0 in.  Same tranny, same driveline, same=20
everything.  Therefore, the only difference on the dyno is the motor.

         What you see in the dyno runs is that the 2.0 has an enormous=20
torque advantage over the 1.8 over most of the engine's range.  In fact,=20
the 2.0 made more torque at idle than my 1.8 did at its peak.  However (and=
=20
this is the reason that the stock 2.0 cars didn't knock any significant=20
time off the 0-60 numbers vs. the 1.8) at high revs, this advantage begins=
=20
to dwindle, and by 7200rpm, the 2.0 head isn't making much (if any) more=20
than the 1.8 did.  Exhaust restriction comes into mind as a factor... but=20
other than that, the only thing to explain that drop in advantage is that=20
the 1.8 head is flowing better.

         Furthermore, 87 octane is not the best gas for the 16V.  If=20
someone made more power using 87 on the dyno than 93, their engine is not=20
tuned properly.  With stock ignition advance and compression ratio, the 16V=
=20
will ping non-stop on 87.  The knock sensor will retard the iginition to=20
stop this, but in the process you'll lose power...

         It is true that the energy contained in 87 octane gas is=20
(fractionally) higher than 93... but not nearly enough to make up for the=20
difference in power lost by the knock sensor.  If your car doesn't enter=20
ignition retard mode on 87, something's up...

Jason