what are the benefits of an oil cooler?

Oil breaks down and does not lubricate properly when overly hot. It also
"cokes" in areas of low flow and leaves a sticky burnt carbon all over (ever
burned molasses in a fry pan?). That's what kills most turbos and
superchargers.

Good oil coolers are very expensive. For a full-bore kit with high-pressure
stainless steel lines, an aluminum cooler from someplace like Setrab, and a
good thermostatic sandwich plate, you're taking about $400+

However, you can cobble together a halfway decent junkyard parts oil cooler
for pretty cheap. I'm told that there is a volvo sandwich adapter that will
fit our cars, and you can get coolers from the junkyard or inexpensively
from PepBoys for ~$50. You just have to solve the oil lines. Good lines and
fittings are expensive, and I'm not sure I would want barb fittings on
something so important. If they go, your engine will probably be toast
before you notice.

In the end, $200 for a oil cooler kit with a thermostatic sandwich adapter,
a decent cooler, and sturdy rubber lines with AN fittings is a good deal.

Who is the person on Vortex? I spent $300 for my kit from someone on Vortex,
and it turned out to not be what was promised...a good kit, but not a $300
kit. I could let you know if it is the same person.

Neal