backfire aftermath

remeber about a month or so ago i posted about a massive backfire that blew
off my exhaust and cracked my exhaust manifold? well i finally got off my
lazy rear i put a stock exhaust system back onto her as a temp fix so i
could start and run her w/o getting a pounding headache. anyways, first time
i ran her for awhile she was smoking pretty badly. i just figured it was
moisture, or maybe something in the exhaust system which had been up on a
shelf for a year or more, but i have run her for three consecutive days for
an hour or more a day and she's still smoking pretty badly. the smokes a
thick grey and smells like oil. could i have damaged the rings or something
with the backfire?
  hit

So Sayeth The Hitman
'88 "stripe" 16v scirocco