Starting a my 86' 16valve that has been sitting for 4 years

--- jeepdoberman <jeepdoberman@netzero.net> wrote:
> I am about to start rebuilding my 86 16 valve that has been sitting
> in the driveway for almost 5 years now.  It ran great when I parked
> it, but the tranny was toasted so I have only cranked it 2 or 3 times
> since it was parked the last of which was probably 3 years ago and
> that time it ran out of gas so it has been sitting empty for the past
> 3 years.  What all should I need to do/check/replace and any tips for
> restarting that anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.
>
> By the way I'm new to the list, but you will probably be hearing alot
> from me in the weeks and months to come!

First, welcome!

Now, about your car...I can only offer what I'd do and let others chime
in.

Get a new fuel filter.  Inspect the timing belt and if in doubt at all,
replace (not trivial).  Remove the plugs and squirt some liquid wrench
down there.  Let it soak and then put some (1 tsp?) engine oil in).
Drain and refill oil, plus new filter.   Rotate the engine from the
crank snout BY HAND.  Put 2 gal premium in w/ fuel injector cleaner
(Lubro Moly Jectron is good if you can find it) and key the starter to
the to fire the fuel pump a few times - to get the new fuel through the
system.  This will also get the engine rotating via starter power and
let the new oil circulate around some.

Install new plugs. Start.  All the myriad isses that accompany a car -
especially a VW - that sat for 4 years will soon reveal themselves.  Be
patient, fix everything right, ask questions on this list - it's a good
one.

Where are you located?