Scirocco won't move

Do I do this when the car is lifted to try or when I
start the car?  Because I put it in gear set the
e-brake and lifted the car up and turned the wheel and
noticed what I think is something that connects from
the axle to the transmission that was moving as I
moved the wheel by hand.  THe other part further back
did not spin when I moved the wheel.  Same goes for
the other side.

=====
-Andrew Wong
1984 Black Scirocco