computer thermodynamics (the hydraulic kind)

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:14:14 -0800
T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Went to an HP unveiling some yeas back; low end units had No Fan, just
> a semi liquid heat pump type setup.

At least it would be quiet. I'm sitting here listening to 2 pcs and a
sparc, and my other sparc is in the cellar 'cos it sounds like a jet
engine on takeoff...

> Convection drove it, clamped onto the CPU heat synch on one end, out
> to the case's backbone/frame on the other.

You need big channels for the coolant to get any decent flow. If you
don't have any moving parts and the entire system is in one piece you
can seal it 100% for good which is a bonus. I think they do that on some
laptops.

> Kinda like an air-cooled bug.  ;])

More like sodium-cooled exhaust values :)

> Can you imagine VDO gauges on your computer keyboard?

You shouldn't need them, it should work reliably enough for you to not
care about it. If the system malfunctions, it should send an alert and
slow the processor right down as a 'limp' mode.

--Andrew