computer thermodynamics (the hydraulic kind)

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 00:29:31 -0500
"calimus" <calimus@techography.net> wrote:

> Allyn,
>
>     Let me know how well that kit works.  I've been thinking about
>     making my
> own kit but since prices are coming down so fast on them I might just
> buy a few for my ever growing server farm.  What you should do though
> is pick up some UV sensitive water dye (some of the on-line OC site
> carry it) and then get a nice black light in there with your blue.

I had a play with this a few years back

I actually used a scirocco rear washer bottle and pump (how's that for
keeping it on topic?) run off 5v instead of 12 so it wouldn't wear out
or generate as much pressure. I built an aluminium case to go over a
socket 7 heat-sink, but this leaked so I wasn't going to put it anywhere
near my CPU. If I was to do it again I would cut some of the fins off a
heat-sink and wind copper brake hose around it, this would be water
tight at least, if not as effective. I didn't build a radiator, I just
used a reservoir of cold water, but you could easily build a small rad
from brake hose and a fan also.

The heat sink did get very cold, but I couldn't get it too seal 100%
even with loads of silicone. Now the rear end of my rocco is again
more-or-less the shape Karmann made it the washer bottle is back in the
boot and the project went on ice.

--Andrew