OT Headgasket job prob

John,
I don't know about newer 1.8s, but when I installed my new motor in my
'84 I couldn't get anything, just like you.  I found out (after looking
at a few books) that I was supposed to use the INSIDE timing mark, line
it up with the upper edge of the head.  I found my mistake and she fired
right up!
As far as your spark plugs being backwards, I had a similar instance
when I replaced the distributor in my '81.  When you installed your
timing belt, did you line up the intermediate shaft notch/crank pully
notch, etc?  I suspect that you've thrown out your timing 180*.  Check
and make sure every thing is lined up again.
HTH!
Nate

--
"It is far better to be well fed, moderately wealthy, in good health, abundantly cheerful, victorious and well regarded than poor, sick, sad, defeated and obscure"
    -Poor Richard