stretched timing belt?

--0-1975553709-1046049317=:68404

OK there has been several instances that when timing my engine(JH 8v), I turned it by the camshaft instead of the crank.  As of late I now understand that is NOT good, and doing that stretches the belt.  I may just be blaming a different problem on my valve timing, but I can't seem to get it right on.  Could it be because of a streched belt, and if so I suppose it's time to order a new one?  are there any stretched belt symptoms?  thanks-

Rob