If I had to re-wire a Mk1...

Jeff Toomasson wrote:

> Tobias and I ran into a non-lister Mk1 owner in the yards last
> weekend and the guy was yanking the whole loom out from the 80S we
> found. (yes, we told him about the list!  :)
>
> After he had it freed, it really didn't look that imposing (as
> compared to my 16v loom).
>
> Preliminary investigations into my new mk1 have led me to believe
> that the wiring may not be in the best condition.
>
> Given that I'll be going to after-market EFI (and the CIS-E is going
> to the cabby anyway), would it be that much more difficult to swap
> in the remaining 16v loom/fuse box? Is there any benefit ((and I'm
> completely speculating) better grounds, Buss fuses, newer
> wires...)?  The one area I could see being a problem would be the
> instrument cluster, but other than that, just basically running the
> wires?
>
> Anyone have experience with this? Thanks, JT
>

> ---------------------

It breaks down to sub systems so once you reconcile the Bentley/Haynes
schematics with the real life wires it can be redone, if you have a
mind to.

The main points are that the connectors to the fuse box change every
couple of years, that and you might not want to bother with stuff
running to the back like brake lights and rear wiper etc.

Redraw the schematics on a pad one day grouped by motor, dash, chassis
and see what you think of it.

The really Big Ball'n way to do it is to rewire with larger gauge and
NEW connectors.

TBerk