Forced Induction ?: X-Flow versus JH head

"This is totally true. However, how fast do you suppose you can spin these
engines of ours? In stock form, our heads are capable of higher rpms than
the bottom ends. Furthermore, the VW ECUs stop all the fun way before the
head spins itself to death. So, again, the performance difference for street
engines is minimally effected by the lifter type."

I think that's way off base.  My car with the stock bottom end has 140,000
miles on it turns 8000 all the time.  It's been an auto-x car for over 12
years and until recently was run 15 to 25 times a year.  It has a G in it,
valve springs and a light clean up on the head.  The factory ignition is
gone and has a programmable unit.  It's a 84 so it had no rev limiter from
the factory any way.   After years of abuse and the bottom end never have
being touched it produces 168 PSI on the compression test an has less than 4
PSI difference between any of the cylinders. Oil pressure at all rpm's is
still excellent with the older style low volume oil pump.   I launch the
thing at 5000 RPM at every run and at on time had the rev limiter set at
8750, which it would hit if I kept my foot in it long enough.  There was no
extra power there but different course layouts forced me to stay in it that
long.

I've also never seen or heard of any competitor having any issues with the
bottom half of their motors.  Ever.  I have heard several hydro cars tapping
after hard runs from their lifters deflating though.

I'm going to stick to my assertion that the JH head would be the better of
the two choices.  I can't believe that the 5500 rpm limit I've felt in
almost every hydraulic 8V motor is going to be the best for performance
issues.  I'm sure the cross flow does flow better at low RPM's but it's
ultimate flow numbers will limited by valve float at a lower RPM's than the
solid lifter motor.  I will also give you the fact that you can get a turbo
to fit those characteristics and make more torque and HP at lower RPMs than
the solid lifter set up, but I still say the high RPM motor with the correct
turbo will smoke the hydro motor in the long run.

Alan