16v 2.0l engine, N/A stats??

Well, there's a rather open-ended question. The F2 rallycars were pumping
out around 240hp out of 2.0l NA 16v engines. Something tells me that you've
got somewhat less ambitious plans, though. Ironically, I was asked on the
VW-Tech list what I'd recommend for a 1.8l 16v build up. Here's what I
wrote:

Scott Williams previously wrote:
"Well, first of all, there are several people on this list that can answer
this question as well or better than me. But, here's what I'd suggest you do
to get the "best" performance out of a street-driven Scirocco 16v with 1.8l
16v motor. Note, this is not the same as the "most" hp. If you attempt to
maximize hp, you'll spend a stupid amount of money and will likely make your
car slower in normal driving conditions. Anyway, here's the list in my
preferred order:

Stage 1
1) euro 16v intake cam
2) Techtonics cat back 2.25" catback exhaust
3) Techtonics (or Autotech) fuel enrichment circuit

*estimated result: approx. 135hp, slightly less off the line torque, and
wider rev range*

Stage 2
4) 4K transmission
5) lightened flywheel
6) Autotech or Techtonics 16v camset
7) adjustable cam gear

*estimated result: approx. 140hp with slightly better than stock-like off
the line response( due to lighter flywheel and lower gearing) plus more
power and wider rev range.*

That's about all I'd do short of installing a 2.0l 16v motor which will be
*much* more responsive. The bigger version motor provides a lot more useable
power than the additional 204cc would suggest.

Stage 3 (a.k.a. "where the real fun starts")
8) 2.0l 16v bottom end

*estimated result: approx. 155hp with much better than stock off the line
response, much better torque and hp throughout the same rev range as Stage
2*

Stage 4 (a.k.a. "-the beginning of true sickness.")
9) ported/polished head
10) Schrick or Kent 260/260, 260/268, or 268/268 cams

*estimated result: approx. 170-180hp with softened off the line response,
incredible torque and hp throughout a expanded rev range starting at 3500 -
4250rpms*

Stage 5 (a.k.a. "You have no disposable income left./ So... why are Mustangs
so slow these days, anyway?")
11) individual throttlebodies
12) standalone engine management
13) Schrick or Kent 260/276, 268/276, or 276/276 cams
14) custom transmission with 4.25 ring & pinion gears

*estimated result: approx. 200hp with slightly better than stock 1.8l
16v-like off the line response, and enough power from 2500 - 7500rpms to
make you swear you've got a rocket assist pack strapped to the car. Car
sounds like a Formula2 rallycar. Woohoo! I'm happy to be at at not
completely tested Stage 5!!!*

HTH,

P.S. My latest mods are/will be an electrically-driven water pump,
electrically drive power steering pump, and a kill circuit that switches the
alternator off at wide open throttle. This should free up *several* hp.
Yeehah!"

--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut