[Re: Removing undercoating crud]

If you soften it enough (or wait till one of those drop dead hot days of
summer, which sounds mighty good at the moment) you can use a credit card=
/old
motel key card/phone card to scrape with.  Even a hair dryer may be enoug=
h to
warm it to a nice slimy texture. Then use any good degreaser that won't k=
ill
paint for what's left, though I didn't need heat at all. The plastic shou=
ldn't
bother the paint the way the metal scraper does, and it can be bent for c=
urved
surfaces too. A credit card works great for scraping frost off the window=
too. I'd have different cards for each job though.  I think I'm up to abo=
ut 5
lbs of goo just from the engine bay of mine. Just make sure you keep one =
good
card to use for buying VW parts. Cha Ching.
HTH Cathy

The heat doesn't hurt the paint... but the scraping does!  Since your scr=
aping
a hardly seen area I wouldn't worry about it, I mean you should repaint
ofcourse to prevent rust.  I think in order to remove the undercoating yo=
ur
going to have to hurt the paint.  On the car I did this to('77 280z), it =
was
to check for rust.  I removed it all, wirebrushed the metal, primed it,
covered it with cold galvanizing compound, painted it, and then put some =
more
rubberized undercoating on!  That was on a car I intended to restore, but=

never did.... oh and good idea about the fire extinguisher, I shoulda tho=
ught
of that!
-Rob> I used a scraper and propane torch. Heat it up good, then scrape. N=
> matter how you do it, it won't be easy but this is the best way I've
> found. I suggest wearing a respirator when torching!
> -Rob

Not to mention a fire extinguisher, jeez!!
Doesn't the heat from the torch, uh.. mangle the paint?

Thanks for the response!

-Toby

> "T. Reed" wrote:Okay, so I'm sure somebody here has done this - my fron=
crossmember has a