Removing undercoating crud

--0-1200035725-1045256806=:47854

The heat doesn't hurt the paint... but the scraping does!  Since your scraping a hardly seen area I wouldn't worry about it, I mean you should repaint ofcourse to prevent rust.  I think in order to remove the undercoating your going to have to hurt the paint.  On the car I did this to('77 280z), it was to check for rust.  I removed it all, wirebrushed the metal, primed it, covered it with cold galvanizing compound, painted it, and then put some more rubberized undercoating on!  That was on a car I intended to restore, but never did.... oh and good idea about the fire extinguisher, I shoulda thought of that!
-Rob> I used a scraper and propane torch. Heat it up good, then scrape. No
> matter how you do it, it won't be easy but this is the best way I've
> found. I suggest wearing a respirator when torching!
> -Rob

Not to mention a fire extinguisher, jeez!!
Doesn't the heat from the torch, uh.. mangle the paint?

Thanks for the response!

-Toby