yikes! separating struts....

i've been having a clunking/skittery feeling from the front pass side for
about 2 weeks--assumed i had blown a strut. jacked it up today and noticed
that that big nut thing that holds the strut insert in the housing was
completely unscrewed, and the insert was flapping all around there. yikes.
this was of course AFTER my 900 mile road trip to fla. over the weekend.
remarkably, everything appeared to be in good shape when i took it apart.
probably nothing would have happened (not enough play to allow the insert to
come all the way out), but scary nonetheless...i guess that's why that thing
is such a PITA to unscrew. never got around to finding the source of the
quart/400 mile oil leak that's been bugging me. sigh. it doesn't end with
this car.

-Michael Abatzis
Hotlanta! GA
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, prelim web site, but not taking orders
yet: www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...