probably ground problem but need input anyways

--- T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> wrote:
>Dan Smith wrote:
>>
>> Last night I was driving a friend somewhere and my car lost power for a brief second. It was -15F outside and the temp needle was just about to leave the white box. The oil temp was about 1/3 of the way to the first listed number (I can't tell exactly where, it was dark). The car jolted and my stereo and headlights and everything blinked out for just a second. Things seemed ok after that, but my destination was only about another minute or so away. When I got back in the car a few hours later and fired it up, the battery light was on. I turned off my fogs and highbeams and after a few, the light went out. I turned back on the fogs, the light came back. The car felt fine, no loss in power, lights didn't seem dim. I haven't tried it in today's warmer temps and I haven't popped the hood yet. Did a ground come loose perhaps?
>>
>> Dan
>>
>> ___________________
>

>Yep, as the others mentioned it sounds like a sticky Alternator
>(and/or brushes).
>
>You could have some ice build up i never see out here in Cali but I'll
>bet a good tap with the back end of a wrench on the Alt case with the
>motor running might tell the difference, if it happens again.
>

>Might as well redo & recondition the grounds anyway.
>
>TBerk

The alt turned fine when I was trying to start the car the other day. I looked it over, all wires were tight and not covered in corrosion. Also, I'm not sure how it'd look with messed up brushes as I don't know where abouts they'd be, but it looked okay and it turned. I bought a voltage regulator today from NAPA ($40) that will be in tommorrow so I'll hook that up. Then I'll have to most likely pull the battery and bring it to a garage to get charged. For some reason, it just doesn't like to be jumped, although 3 seperate tests have all said the battery is in good shape. I really really hope its not the alt as that's $220 and with a job interview on Fri, I don't have time to save up. I'll let you know how it turns out. If I can hold out (and I get that job), I'm going to wait to do grounds until warmer weather, when I'll relocate the battery at the same time.

Dan

Sign up for FREE email yourname@veedub.com
from http://www.veedub.com

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you@yourchoice.com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag