Shifting backfire

Just as a quick check shine your timing light on the crankshaft pulley.
If it's jumping around then your crank to timing pulley key is shot.
That'll make both ignition and cam timing jump around.
As far as the exhaust pop, my experience is this is almost always an
exhaust leak (yep I read you have new mufflers) that allows air into the
exhaust on overrun and lights off any fuel in the pipe causing the pop.
Dan