OT but A1 Clutch stuff

Posted this to the Caddy list but it is the same procedure as in both of my
Scirocco Bentleys:
I am installing a low miles PP/Clutch combo from an "organ doner" and am
looking at the shim(s) that are mentioned in the bently for the PP(drive
plate)  I dont have any ohter than the one that goes between the PP bolts
and the PP.  How critical is this fraction of a mm tolerance the bently
shows.  I cant see what the other thig I am supposed to measure to.  The
block/intermediate plate is almost 2" away and the magic number is 1.232
inches (31.3mm).  What is the 2nd refference point?  Can't be the face of
the intermediate plate as it is not flat, it has bulges and would vary
depending on where you measured.  To boot the photo for this procedure is
"..not for car covered in this manual"
This PP came off a same (kind) of motor, 1.6 diesel,  that it is going on
to.
Not sure what to do, or how much to worry about it.
Thanks
Ken
1979 Scirocco 16V -  Almost done
81 Deisel P/U - Rescued from neglegent PO
VORTEX:  "Indiana Red"