help: cis-e mixture adjustment

--0-787273502-1044673660=:9550

i guess i forgot to mention, if i switch polarity on the meter, it does nothing different.....still zero. maybe something else is wrong with my car too, but when i turn the screw on the tb out just a hair it allows the car to at least idle after i have turned the other screw a hair counterclockwise.
-tony
 "T. Reed" <treed2@u.washington.edu> wrote:Tony,

You warmed the car up completely first, right?

This is a long shot, but take a look at your fusebox and see if the fuse
for the fuel injection is burned out. Potentially, the car could still run
even if the electronics are off.

The screw in the throttle body doesn't need to be messed with. There is
only one "correct" setting. Having the wrong setting shouldn't affect
engine operation, though. Even if its all the way closed, it will just
idle lower (or the idle may not even change at all.. until you unplug the
idle stabilizer, which is designed to make up for misadjustment
automatically). The main reason to adjust the throttle body screw is to
get a smooth transition from full throttle to no throttle .. so your rpms
don't dip before returning to idle, or so that your rpms doesn't
"float" above idle. It has a small affect on mixture, but like I said,
there's only one correct setting. Set the idle screw per bentley (using a
dwell meter or duty cycle meter) THEN set the fuel mixture screw.

Also, did you hook the meter up with the correct polarity? Try switching +
and - and see if you can get a reading (some meters won't do negative
current values) ..

-Toby

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003, Tony Morehead wrote:

> i had $30 laying around one day so i bought the tt fuel mixture test harness. i found instructions online so i decided to see what was going on with my 1987 16v. my car has been guzzling gas lately and my high-rpm horsepower just aint what it used to be.
>
> hooked everything up and started the car (allready warm), but the multimeter (digital, set on a 20mA scale) reads zero. let it set for a few minutes.....still zero. instructions say that zero means that i am way way too rich. i turn the screw counter clockwise less than 1/8th turn and the car starts to stumble, i back out the bypass screw on the tb to balance it a little. cars idling again for a few minutes.... still says zero. i even turned it down to the 2mA scale for an extra decimal place, but its zero there too. if there is a vacuum leak i cannot find it (most of my vaccum system is removed). the injector o-rings are not that old (maybe 12 or 14k miles). someone that has done this before please help me out. all i can do right now is turn the 2 screws until they balance out and the car will idle at a decent speed.
>
> tia,
>
> -tony
>

> 1987 2 or 3 tone 16v scirocco

1987 2 or 3 tone 16v scirocco