HELP! Couple of tranny questions...

Hey All,

So, my tranny in my 82 is not wanting to go into
1st gear. No grinding or funny noises and my clutch
seems to be engaging well, so what's the deal? I installed
a tt short throw lever and replaced the rubber bushings around
that area but not the bushings at the tranny. Could that be
all it is? I imagine a tranny fluid change would be in order
as well. Another detail, when the car is jacked up and I
start it out of gear the wheels spin. I can stop them easily
with my foot, but I thought this to be really strange.

Thanks,
Jason Rinne