cups v. coilovers?

>From: Dan Bubb <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com>
>
>The 16V cylinder head is heavier than an 8V head (guess I'll have to
>measure tonight) and ALL of the additional weight is on the front of the
>head. The intake manifold is heavier and its weight is all forward of
>the head instead of all behind the head. Alternator weight is moved
>forward compared to the 8V.
>The point is the 16V IS heavier and all the additional weight is all
>further forward.

how much heavier is the 16v head? only 59 #, can't imagine 8v is
significantly lighter. intake manifold weighs maybe 5-10#. think about how
much force is put on spring/shock under load; i think the weight difference
is negligible. you're saying i move my battery to the trunk, and *poof*, 8v?
i'll need to change my setup? doubtful.

That's why a 16V front spring will be stiffer than an
>8V for a comparable application.
>VW made the OE 16V springs stiffer. They didn't need to cause in the
>quantities they were having made there is zip difference in cost. They
>did it to maintain the handling and ride balance they thought was
>optimum.

no, they did it because the 16v was "sportier". same reason for upgraded
brakes and engine. from the factory, 8v and 16v rode different.
not to mention there is no "optimal" ride; it's very dependant on personal
preference and driving style/terrain.

>The fact that you've swapped springs out of the intended application
>means only that they will fit. It doesn't mean they will provide the
>optimum ride and handling balance.
>Dan

true...

-Michael Abatzis
Hotlanta! GA
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP-->parting, prelim web site, but not taking orders
yet: www.learnlink.emory.edu/~mabatzi/mikes_page1.html
1987 Scirocco 2L 16v...