  From: Robbie Cotner=20
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 10:53 AM
  Subject: curing my rod knock(a bit long)

  Hey all, I could use some help here!  I rebuilt a JH with 170k, it was =
strong when I rebuilt it, since I was doing a transplant I figured that =
was a good time to rebuild it.  The crank was mic'd(sp?) within spec, =
and I used OEM size bearings.  When assembling the engine, I got the #1 =
and #3 rods mixed up, which made the engine VERY hard to turn by torque =
bar.  I'm 19, in a hurry, and immature, so I figured I'd "break the =
engine in" by hand and turned it 100 times in each direction(wasn't hard =
to keep moving once you got it moving).  That didn't help, and =
eventually I figured out what was wrong but not before one of the rod =
bearings was a bit pre-broken in(very shiny compared to the others which =
were not shiny at all).  Well I switched the rods back, which may have =
both fixed and caused a problem since I had to undo the stretch bolts =
(which were new, but in the case of #1 and #3 had been torqued once, =
removed and retorqued again). =20

  I assembled the engine and it ran great over the summer, putting on =
about 6,000 miles(a lot of road tripping).  Now that winter is here it =
knocks when it's below freezing(32F) for about a minute.  However, if I =
start the engine and rev it to about 2-3k for a second, the knock goes =
away(if it's really cold it doesnt' though).  The knock isn't loud, but =
it's there. =20

  Also when rebuilding the engine I reused the original oil pump(with =
about 180k on it now).  All I did was clean it, and put it back in.  I =
did not notice any scoring in it. =20

  So now the big question, could I blame this knock on the oil pump not =
getting oil to something or another quickly enough?  Or is it too much =
rod/crank clearance?  Could it be to much wrist pin/piston clearance?  =
What should I do?  If it is too much rod clearance, can I order a set of =
new bearings and rod bolts, take off the oil pan, and put em =
on(hopefully curing the problem)?  The engine far as I know only knocks =
when cold, not when under load.  A very big thanks to all who have read =
all of this, and an even bigger thanks to those who reply!

  -Rob

------=_NextPart_000_003F_01C2CABC.BA91E0A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Rob-</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp; Even before I got to the part =
about the oil=20
pump I was thinking "oil pump".&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;Sounds like you aren't getting =
oil pressure=20
to the crank/rods quickly enough.&nbsp;&nbsp; What weight oil are you=20
running?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Larry</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>sandiego16v</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A href=3D"mailto:robw_z@yahoo.com"; title=3Drobw_z@yahoo.com>Robbie =
Cotner</A>=20
  </DIV>
  href=3D"mailto:scirocco-l@scirocco.org"=20
  title=3Dscirocco-l@scirocco.org>scirocco-l@scirocco.org</A> </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, February 02, 2003 =
10:53=20
  AM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> curing my rod knock(a =
bit=20
  long)</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <P>Hey all, I could use some help here!&nbsp; I rebuilt a JH with =
170k, it was=20
  strong when I rebuilt it, since I was doing a transplant I figured =
that was a=20
  good time to rebuild it.&nbsp; The crank was mic'd(sp?) within spec, =
and I=20
  used OEM size bearings.&nbsp; When assembling the engine, I got the #1 =
and #3=20
  rods mixed up, which&nbsp;made the engine VERY hard to turn by torque=20
  bar.&nbsp; I'm 19, in a hurry, and immature, so I figured I'd "break =
the=20
  engine in" by hand and turned it 100 times in each direction(wasn't =
hard to=20
  keep moving&nbsp;once you got it moving).&nbsp; That didn't help, and=20
  eventually I figured out what was wrong but not before one of the rod =
bearings=20
  was a bit pre-broken in(very shiny compared to the others which were =
not shiny=20
  at all).&nbsp; Well I switched the rods back, which may have both =
fixed and=20
  caused a problem since I had to undo the stretch bolts (which were =
new, but in=20
  the case of #1 and #3 had been torqued once, removed and retorqued=20
  again).&nbsp; </P>
  <P>I assembled the engine and it ran great over the summer, putting on =

  about&nbsp;6,000 miles(a lot of road tripping).&nbsp; Now that winter =
is=20
  here&nbsp;it knocks when&nbsp;it's below&nbsp;freezing(32F) for about =
a=20
  minute.&nbsp; However, if I start the engine and rev it to about 2-3k =
for a=20
  second, the knock goes away(if it's really cold it doesnt' =
though).&nbsp; The=20
  knock isn't loud, but it's there.&nbsp; </P>
  <P>Also when rebuilding the engine I reused the original oil pump(with =
about=20
  180k on it now).&nbsp; All I did was clean it, and put it back =
in.&nbsp; I did=20
  not notice any scoring in it.&nbsp; </P>
  <P>So now the big question, could I blame this knock on the oil pump =
not=20
  getting oil to something or another quickly enough?&nbsp; Or is it too =
much=20
  rod/crank clearance?&nbsp; Could it be to much wrist pin/piston=20
  clearance?&nbsp; What should I do?&nbsp; If it is too much rod =
clearance, can=20
  I order a set of new bearings and rod bolts, take off the oil pan, and =
put em=20
  on(hopefully curing the problem)?&nbsp; The engine far as I know only =
knocks=20
  when cold, not when under load.&nbsp; A very big thanks to all who =
have read=20
  all of this, and an even bigger thanks to those who reply!</P>
  <P>-Rob</P>
  <P><BR>
  <HR SIZE=3D1>
  Do you Yahoo!?<BR><A=20