Does rear axle from '81 Rabbit fit '81 Scirocco?

Hi Larry,

In a message dated 2/2/03 10:18:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rocco16v@netzero.net writes:

> Welcome to the list, Courtney.
>   Believe me, it will be cheaper to shim the stub axles than to replace the
> complete rear axle assembly.  I think the shop either couldn't do the
> shimming or wanted the larger bill for the assembly.
>   Take the car to a good alignment shop and get an estimate on the
shimming.
> Then get an estimate for the assembly replacement.  It will open your
eyes....
> .

Thanks for the heads up... I did try asking a couple alignment shops about
this. Les Schwab (dunno if you have that chain in Sandy Eggo, but here in
Oregon they're a tire-brake-and alignment kinda shop) told me the whole
shimming process would be at least $109.00 and perhaps more depending on
labor. I guess it's labor intensive since you have to shim it "by eye" and
then re-measure with a camber gauge once it's all back together... tedious,
too, which is my guess at why the VW shop wanted to avoid the job :) They
actually told me I'd be better off buying the axle from a junkyard and doing
the job myself... which speaks for their honesty, since I am female and you
know if they were gonna try anything rip-off wise, they would have :)

Take care,
Courtney