  From: Antaki=20
  To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM ; Scirocco List=20
  Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 9:48 PM
  Subject: Red Line vs. Swepco

  Hi all, not that I like open this old can of worms, but -=20

  I used to love Red Line trans oil, run it in my Scirocco 16V, my =
Vanagon
  trans, and it seemed like the best available- **Until Last Night**!!!

  Background:
  While at S Car Go, (www.scargoracing.com) a shop in Marin county that
  prepares Porsches for racing, builds custom engines, headers, you name
  it! They have one that puts out 500HP at the rear wheels!. Indeed they
  are widely known in Porsche racing circles, and do most excellent =
work.

  The Point of this message:
  I noticed that the only kind of oil in their shop is Swepco. One of =
them
  had a transaxle apart on the bench, and I asked him his opinion of Red
  Line vs Swepco. He told me that Red Line breaks down into a chalky
  deposit on the parts, and leaves a thin liquid behind. He then showed
  me, on the parts he was working on, exactly what he just told me. He
  scraped the goo deposit off of a gear, and I could see that the stuff
  coating the parts was red, and there was a layer of what looked like
  watery oil on some parts. He also told me that he can take one look =
and
  tell what was run in a gearbox, and sees a lot of Red Line-lubricated
  trannys come in broken.=20

  They run ONLY Swepco oils and lubricants in these awesome, beautiful,
  hand built, ex-freaking-spensive machines.

  I'm sold. It's Swepco from now on for my trans oil from now on, and if =
  upgrade from Mobil 1 Synth in my engines, it will be to Swepco. I'll
  even look for their greases for the important stuff...

  >rant off

  Thanks for listning,

  Ron Antaki
  '88 Wolfsburg (das all-purpose machine)
  '86 Syncro Westy (escape machine)
  '88 Scirocco 16V 2.0L (yee, I say, yee haaa!!)