Downpipe follow on questions

From: "James S. Danda" <jdanda@sunflower.com>
>Also I'm replacing the engine mounts. On the passenger side I think I need
>to remove the crank pulleys and the timing belt to get to the mount bolts
>on the engine? is this true? I don't have an impact wrech, how do you
>remove the
>crank pulley bolt? Is it normal (or reverse) threaded?

whoa! don't do that! you need to the pulley off of the sprocket. 3 allen
bolts on the pulley (i think that's a heavy double pulley). don't touch the
bolt in the middle.

>Oh, one more thing it seems the factory spec waterpump/AC belt is
>incredibly hard to get on and off. Do people get bigger belts? if so what
>size?

thought about doing this, never have. it'll fit; you may need to remove the
wp pulley and belt together, and install them together.
also, for all these pulleys, i've found the easiest way to remove them is
with 2 allen keys. put them in adjacent bolts, and use a screwdriver over
one wrench/under the other (like: o/o, with /=screwdriver, o=bolt/wrench) to
hold the pulley still. then just unscrew one of the bolts (the left "o")
enough to get it loose, and move on to the next.  easier than i'm making it
sound. hth,

-Michael Abatzis
New Orleans!
1988 Scirocco 2L 16v RIP