How do I check for a draw, i.e. battery keeps dying

How do I check for a draw on my battery without an ampmeter?
I have a quality multimeter and good eletronic knowhow. I seem to remember something about putting a highly resistive (low wattage) resistor across the battery and measuring voltages or something...

Battery is brand new, sprial cell type, it's cold here (-20c) but not that cold, car has been sitting for only a couple of days.  I suspect the draw is comming from an accessory I installed this summer, but can't be sure.  Accessories are Alpine alarm and power amplifier.  car is 1993 bmw 320i. I'm thinking of putting an"under hood" trickle charger, is this a bad idea?

thanks,

Jason Adams
Fahrvergnugen Forever :)