mk1 - A/C vs. non-A/C HVAC boxes

Hey Jeff...

They are considerably different in size, and yes, you will have to do raintry work.  The whole for the A/C box is a good 1.5-2 inches larger, all the way around...and there is an extra hole for the recirc flap that the non-a/c cars dont have (over on the passenger side of the rain tray).

My suggestion?  Go get a non-a/c box now, and build your center console based off that.

--
Eric
www.VintageWatercooleds.com

79 VW Iltis
81 Scirocco S (*TDI* swap and complete restoration in holding pattern)
81 Rabbit Truck 2.0 16v Motronic
90 Corrado TDI

--- "Jeff Toomasson" <jtoomasson@yahoo.com> wrote:
It appears the list is up again, so I need some content! :)

Does anyone know off-hand how different the mk1 A/C vs. non-A/C HVAC boxes are in size?

I started work on a custom center console and was kind of shocked how little space there was back there on the A/C setup. My last mk1, a black 80S w/o A/C seemed to have a ton more space. Is it my imagination?

I'm removing the A/C ultimately anyway and I'll have to rip out the box when I paint, but I'd like to know in advance so I can pick one up if I see it in the yards. I'm  probably going to weld-up the rain tray too. (I just hope two batteries worth of 12v cordless juice will be enough to cut a donor!  :)

Thanks (and hope you're not stuck at work on this holiday week like I am!  :)

Jeff