speedo musings

Michael, that sqwauking when cold was likely where the speedo cable meets the cluster - mine did the same thing until I took it off and all the metal shavings fell out, then I oiled it up some.  And yes, it was worse in the cold.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to calibrate the speedo.  But I do know that the stop pin is NOT where the needle should rest naturally.  If you could take the stop pin out (or just flip the speedo needle under it) it should rest a bit (~1/4") below it.  Make sure if you take the needle off, you flip it under the pin first to see where it rests.  That is the position you will pop the needle back on.