OT: "UnWise" files suddenly found on my PC

Hi Jeff,

	I _JUST_ installed XP last night because of ethical concerns <sic>
so I can't give you the best advice on it alone but it sounds as if
someone in the household may have visited a site that popped up a window
that had a yes/no answer option and it installed some "browser
customizations" <sic again> that may have hosed IE.
	From what I'm seeing XP has an integral component that will let you
"roll back" your PC to an earlier date. The good thing about this is that
you can roll back to a date that was before the problem. The bad news is
that, if it behaves like other M$ products of the like from before, all
installed programs that were installed after the date rolled back to will
not function BUT are still installed and taking up hard drive space.
	To get to this function go to Start>Programs>Accessories>System
Information and click there. When it opens go to the menu bar (File, Edit,
View, etc.) and click on the "Tools" entry and choose "System Restore".
	Once that opens, make sure the entry "Restore my computer to an
earlier time" is selected and click next. In the next screen, choose the
date in the calendar OR choose a restore point that seems to be an
entry for each instance of a program install, before the problems started.
	If you see an entry for a program you don't recognize as having
installed, that's probably the culrpit and choose to "rool back" to this
point, reboot, and test.
	 Then click next and next again. At this point (I haven't done this
yet) it should install an older copy of the registry and prompt you to
reboot.
	Reboot, and you've just stepped back in time to the point before
the errors. This _SHOULD_ work but as I have said, I haven't done it yet
and so cannot vouch for it's validity.
	If it still complains about not finding the dll repost/reply and
we'll go from there.

HTH - Give it a try.....

Tim

"You must learn to run your kayak by a sort of ju-jitsu.  You must learn to
 tell what the river will do to you, and given those parameters see how you
 can live with it.  You must absorb its force and convert it to your users
 as best you can.  Even with the quickness and agility of a kayak, you are
 not faster than the river, nor stronger, and you can beat it only by
 understanding it."
-- Strung, Curtis and Perry, _Whitewater_