Downpipe/Manifold Exhaust leak?

First, welcome to the list! You'll get used to the "bombardment" of mail
eventually  :)
The "shock thingy" is a flexable joint that can be replaced. We have at
least 2 places that help us alot, apart from listers who can get
speciallised stuff.

The flex plipe has to be cut and re-welded. You can get the part from either
of these 2 places.

Mike Potter:
http://www.parts4vws.com (west coast)

Dave and Mark:
http://www.germanautoparts.com (East coast)

Many others will chime in for sure, again welcome to the list,
drive carefl, but have fun!

Julie Macfarlane
1981 MKI 2L 16v
Amsterdam NY