HELP! Distributor position @ TDC

Went through this on a 1.8l 8v in a 85 rocco recently, tried following
the bently and couldn't get the engine to run.  I changed the
intermediat shaft to make the rotor button point to #4 wire rather then
#1 and the engine roared right to life.  Also had to move the cam about
2 teeth (maybe only 1.5) twards the top from the TDC mark.  The engine
has run fine since then, though it seems really odd.  But by Bently
specs, the engine wouldn't fire up at all.  Possible that I read the
bently wrong, but I've had a few other folks read it and they got the
same thing outta it that I did.

William