Tranny woes

>Ok people this is awesome that I can get immediate responses!!  Scirocco
>lovers rock!!  Anyways, >I'm a newbie to keeping up to what my rocco throws
>at me....how do I check the fluid and where >do I fill it up?  is there a
>dip stick or something?  Please let me know!!  I have to get to work in the
> >morning...I hope I am not wrecking my car!!!!!

There's no dipstick for the manual tranny.  There is a plug on the side of
the tranny just inside the driver's wheel where the oil should be added.
When it is filled as much as it can fron this hole, it is filled.  Ron is
right, however, about draining the oil first.  That way you can get all the
shredded metal that is no doubt in your tranny oil out of there.   The hole
to drain the oil is on the bottom of the tranny, near the differential.  If
the oil you remove is shiny and metallic (which it no doubt will be) then
there has been some damage to the gears.  If it's not too bad, the tranny
could still be OK.  The plugs require a really big (17mm) allen wrench to
remove.  I know you can get them at Napa and Sears, maybe other places, but
don't count on it.

Good luck!

**Drew Teague**
Harrisburg, PA

'84 8v Rocco --  "Bruise"
'85 BMW 318i

Winterize your home with tips from MSN House & Home.