1987 16V Scirocco 5th gear popping out while driving and beingaPITA

>Hey everybody!
>Just signed up to the list and am having problems with my 5th gear popping
>out while driving....was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to fix
>it?  Thanks. Chad

Well, first of all, as soon as it pops out of 5th, you are dangerously low
on gear oil.  If this is the case, your tranny won't last very long if you
keep driving the car.  As I understand it, the oil cools the gears to a
degree (reducing friction and all that) and since 5th gear is in the top of
the gearbox, it is the first to become dry if the level is low.  The
increased friction heats the gear up, making it expand, and causing the
teeth to not quite line up, causing what you are experiencing.  For the
short term, be very aware of your gear oil levels and top it off frequently.
  To really solve the problem, you'll have to source the leak and replace
the bad seal.

HTH, and welcome to the list!

**Drew Teague**
Harrisburg, PA

'84 8v Rocco --  "Bruise"
'85 BMW 318i

Shop online for kids’ toys by age group, price range, and toy category at
MSN Shopping. No waiting for a clerk to help you! http://shopping.msn.com